Information for people from foreign countries interested in working (or already employed) at the University of Lucerne.

Residence Permit

Obligation to register with the local authorities

You must register with the local authorities within 8 days of taking up residence in Switzerland.
Regular weekly stays in Lucerne lasting more than 2 days must also be registered with the resident registration office (Einwohnerdienst) in Lucerne. This registration must take place within 3 months (or one month for members of non-EU/EFTA countries).

Please bring the following documents with you:

  • A valid form of official ID (one for each family member taking up residence in Switzerland)
  • 1 passport photograph
  • Civil status documents (e.g. family record book or birth certificates of minors, marriage certificate etc.)
  • Work contract
  • Health insurance identity card
  • Foreign national residence permit (if already issued)
  • Approx. CHF 35 for the registration fee

Lucerne local authority (only if you move to Lucerne City): Einwohnerdienste

Work Permit

Work permits and extensions are arranged by Human Resources.

Overview of permit types
Federal Office for Migration
Lucerne Office for Migration

Welcome Centre University of Lucerne

We provide information on issues relevant for your stay
in Lucerne such as:
• Visa / Arrival / Residence Permit
• Health Care
• Accommodation
• Child Care / Schools
• Language Courses
• Culture and Leisure

Welcome Centre University of Lucerne

Working in Switzerland as a foreign national

Withholding Tax

Withholding Tax

Information for People from Foreign Researches (Euraxess)


Health Insurance

Health insurance is mandatory for all persons residing in Switzerland.

Health insurance is taken out on an individual basis. Adults must take the necessary steps by contacting a health insurance company of their choice. Each insured person pays an individual premium that is not dependent upon income. This premium varies depending upon the insurance provider, the place of residence and the form of insurance cover. The insured person is free to choose their own health insurance provider.

The University of Lucerne has collective contracts with the following health insurance providers: Concordia, CSS Versicherung and Xundheit. As a member of staff at the University of Lucerne you can benefit from special terms on supplementary insurance. Request an individual quote directly from the companies.

The website provides an impartial overview of the different Swiss health insurance companies.

Extensive information regarding mandatory health insurance can be found on the website of the Federal Office for Public Health.