Scholarships for Incoming Exchange Students

SEMP (Erasmus)

Switzerland is not currently able to participate in the Erasmus+ programme and thus the interim solution devised by the Swiss government, the 'Swiss-European Mobility Programme' (SEMP), provides funding thereby allowing the University of Lucerne to pay scholarships to incoming SEMP students.

The SERI (Swiss Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation) has determined the amount of the scholarship payable to each incoming student according to the student's home country of study. The scholarships paid are thus roughly equivalent to those that would have been paid within the Erasmus+ programme. You will receive further information regarding your scholarship from the University of Lucerne's Mobility Office before the commencement of your exchange semester.

CH-Unimobil and Partnership Programmes

The University of Lucerne does not currently offer any scholarships for students participating in the CH-Unimobil and the Partnership exchange programmes.

Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists


The Swiss Government awards a range of scholarships to foreign students through the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students (FCS):

  • university scholarships (Swiss universities, Federal Institutes of Technology and Universities of Applied Sciences),
  • arts scholarships (schools of music and fine arts- for a limited number of countries)

These scholarships provide graduates from all fields with the opportunity to pursue doctoral or postdoctoral research in Switzerland at a public funded university or recognised institution. 

For more detailed information on these scholarships please see here.

Application procedure at the University of Lucerne 

Please file your application for preliminary clarifications to the Admissions Office at the University of Lucerne ( The Admissions Office will then check the formal requirements and forward the application to the corresponding faculty. The faculty then checks, if a supervision of your research stay is possible.

If the assessment of the faculty is positive, you will receive a temporary admission (with a confirmation of supervision). If FCS approves of your application, you will be able to apply online at the University of Lucerne and file all necessary documents. After a thorough review of all filed documents, the Admissions Office will issue your official admission to the University of Lucerne (only this official admission authorizes you to apply for a visa).