Senior Research Associate
T +41 41 229 58 61
Frohburgstrasse 3, Room 3.A15
Manuela Morf earned her Masters’ degree and PhD in Management from the University of Zurich. In 2012 she joined the Chair for Human Resource Management at the University of Zurich, where she contributed and led research projects in human resource management and received her teaching certificate. After her PhD defense in 2016, she spend 18th months at the Center of Excellence for Positive Organizational Psychology at the Erasmus University Rotterdam supported by a career grant of the Swiss National Science Foundation. Since March 2018, she conducts research and teaching in Lucerne in the area of human resource management organization and change management and leadership.
Manuel Morf does research in the area of human resource management, leadership and organizational behavior. Her research projects cover relevant management topics such as employee proactivity and engagement, motivation and health promoting work design and leadership and non-standard employment relationships (e.g. temporary agency work). Her research is mainly quantitative including multi-level modelling and intervention studies.
Career success 4.0
“Career Success 4.0” uses event-based interventions to explore careers in the gig economy. Tranditional career paths are outdated and many individuals follow independent careers, regardless of organizational boundaries. Which career competencies are essential and what drives the financial and personal success of gig workers? This project seeks answers to these questions and tests ways to promote gig workers’ career success. 2020–2021
Humm, J., Doden, W., Feierabend, A., Morf, M., Arnold, A., Grote, G., & Stafflebach, B. (2016). Schweizer HR-Barometer 2016: Loyalität und Zynismus. Zürich: ETH Zürich und Universität Zürich.
Doden, W., Morf, M., Arnold, A., Feierabend, A., Grote, G., & Staffelbach, B. (2014). Schweizer HR-Barometer 2014: Arbeitsleben und Job Crafting. Zürich: ETH Zürich und Universität Zürich.
Feierabend, A., Tschopp, C., Arnold, A., Doden, W., Morf, M., Grote, G., & Staffelbach, B. (2012). Schweizer HR-Barometer 2012: Fehlverhalten und Courage. Zürich: ETH Zürich und Universität Zürich.
Sender, A., Morf, M., & Feierabend, A. (2020). Aiming to Leave and Aiming to Harm: the Role of Turnover Intentions and Job Opportunities for Minor and Serious Deviance. Journal of Business and Psychology. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1007/s10869-020-09685-5
Morf, M., Bakker, A. B., & Feierabend, A. (2019). Bankers closing idiosyncratic deals: Implications for organisational cynicism. Human Resource Management Journal, in press, 29 (4), 585–599. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3635765
Gloor, J. L., Morf., M., Paustian-Underdahl, S., & Backes-Gellner, U. (2018). Fix the Game, Not the Dame: Restoring Equity in Leadership Evaluations. Journal of Business Ethics, 1–5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-018-3861-y
Morf, M., Feierabend, A., & Staffelbach, B. (2017). Task variety and counterproductive work behavior. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 32 (8), 581–592. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3515838
Tschuor, C., Raptis, D. A., Morf, M. C., Staffelbach, B., Manser, T., & Clavien, P.-A. (2014). Job satisfaction among chairs of surgery from Europe and North America. Surgery, 156 (5), 1069–1077. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surg.2014.04.013
Morf, M. C., Arnold, A., & Staffelbach, B. (2014). The double psychological contracts of temporary agency workers. Employee Relations, 36 (6), 708–726. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3515840
Morf, M. (2013). Doppeltes Commitment: Wem fühlen sich Temporärangestellte zugehörig? In Bruno Staffelbach (Ed.), HR Spotlights: Geistesblitze zur Personalführung (pp. 51–59). Zürich: Neue Züricher Zeitung.
Morf, M. (2013). E-Empfehlung: Qualität durch Xing, LinkedIn, Facebook & Co.? In Bruno Staffelbach (Ed.), HR Spotlights: Geistesblitze zur Personalführung (pp. 158–159). Zürich: Neue Züricher Zeitung.
Article in Public Media
Virtuelle Teamarbeit, neue Führungsrealitäten. (2019). HR Today, 9, 65 ff.
Keine Zeit fur Change Management. (2018). HR Today, (10). Retrieved from https://www.hrtoday.ch/de/article/change-management-studie-mitarbeiterkapazitaet
Morf, M. (1 November 2017). Was HR Analytics leisten kann. HR Today, 11. Retrieved from https://www.hrtoday.ch/de/article/was-hr-analytics-leisten-kann
Morf, M. (14 March 2017). Kritische Mitarbeiterstimmen - Was Führungskräfte noch lernen müssen. HR Today, 1, 42.
Morf, M. (2016). Wie sich die Wertschätzung von HR-Services steigern lässt. HR Today, 6, 46.
Morf, M. (2015). Weg von „Old Stars“ und „Young Talents“. HR Today, 5, 42.
Morf, M. (2014). Zwischen Hochstapelei und Kompetenz. HR Today, 3, 42.
Morf, M. (2012). Social Media verleihen der Mitarbeiterempfehlung Schubkraft. HR Today, 3, 14–15.
Contribution/presentation at a scientific conference
- Getting what they have asked for: Testing a proactivity intervention among temporary agency workers. Lecture, 19th EAWOP Congress, European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology, Turin, 2019
- Transformational leadership: A weekly diary study on the role of human resource practices, job resources, and prosocial motivation. Lecture, 19th EAWOP Congress, European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology, Turin, 2019
- Job Insecurity in the Face of Attributions: How the Macroeconomic Context Shapes Employees’ Trust in Their Employer. Lecture, 19th EAWOP Congress, European Association of Work and Organizational Psychology, Turin, 2019
- Team Design with (Female) Leaders in Mind: Restoring Equity in Leadership Evalua tions. Lecture, 77th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Academy of Management, Atlanta, 2017
- Volition of temporary agency workers as a predictor of agency commitment: The role of agency support? Lecture, 77th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Academy of Management, Atlanta, 2017
- Coping with Job Boredom: A Theoretical Perspective. Lecture, 32nd Workshop on Strategic Human Resource Management, European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management, Luzern, 2017
- If Leaving is not an option: The role of unemployment rates in the relationship between turnover intentions and organizational deviance. Lecture, Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Academy of Management, Atlanta, 2017
- Effects of Underload and Overload on Job Satisfaction and Stress: How Important is Job Tenure? Lecture, 76th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management, Academy of Management, Anaheim, 2016
- Unintended Effects of Removing Tasks: Linking task variety to counterproductive work behaviour. Lecture, Annual 15th European Academy of Management Conference, European Academy of Management, Warsaw, 2015
- With a little help from afar: Examining the effect of agency support on temporary employees’ well-being. Lecture, Workshop on Research Advances in Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources Management, Université Paris Dauphine, DRM-Management & Organisation, Paris, 2015
- Task variety and counterproductive work behaviour: The role of employee expectations. Lecture, 29th Workshop on Strategic Human Resource Management, 29th Workshop on Strategic Human Resource Management, Corsica, 2014
- When employers fail to provide sufficient work stimulation. Lecture, Workshop ‘Understanding Employee Dishonesty Behaviours in the Workplace’,, Burgundy School of Business, Dijon, 2013
Contribution/presentation at a non-scientific event
- Introduction in R: Getting ready to join the R community. presentation, Research Meeting, Organisational Psychology, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Rotterdam, 2017
- Job design and well-being in different institutional settings. presentation, Academy of Management, Human Resource Division Doctoral Colloquium, Academy of Management, Vancouver, 2014
- Employees’ Reactions to Job Boredom: An Examination of Buffers. presentation, Annual 14th European Academy of Management Conference, Doctoral Colloquium, Valencia, 2014